The Liquid Logic Speedloader Throw Bag
Leave it to Woody and Shane over at Liquid Logic to come up with yet another unique item. The Speedloader is a throw bag that has an adjustable opening. It throws much like a traditional bag, but loads much easier/quicker(see video below). Simply loosen the draw cord, un-click the fastener, and open the top of the bag. The wide mouth top will make it SUPER EASY to get the line back in the bag. Check out this video. Woody(Speedloader) vs. Shane(traditional bag). Besides that, it has a flat bottom that makes it very stable(less likely to roll off an unstable surface), foam core construction for extra flotation, and is made in the USA.
- The Speedloader is compact and can be stowed in a variety of places due to it's small size.The small, tight package is also aerodynamic and throws easily.
- It's super easy to open and load the Speedloader, hence the name.
- The rectangular design and flat bottom make the bag stable. It will roll around less than rounded bags.
- At $59 the bag is reasonably priced.
- The foam core construction creates float. When you toss the bag it will stay on the surface of the water making it easier for the victim to grab.
- If you are taking a swift water rescue class, bring this bag. You will spend a lot of time re-loading your bag. why not make life easy?
- When the line is all of the way out, you can use the Speedloader as a beer bag. Load it with a couple of cans and put it in the river.
- The mesh sidewalls help drain water and also reduce weight.
- Spectra would be a nice option. Word is, LL is working on this issue as we speak.
- There are bags that have longer, thicker and stronger gauges of rope. The downside to a bag with more rope is that it is bigger and heavier. This bag is not meant for commercial raft rescue. Get a 90' Dart Spectra bag(2500 lbs) if you need a burly bag for raft related Z-drags.The Speedloader is good for personal boating and kayaking. When the spectra bag comes out...that's a different story.
There's quite a few throw bags on the market. Every one has it's own niche. Astral makes some good ones that will fit inside of your PFD. There are ones that will haul a fully loaded 18' oar rig out of a broach on Blossom Bar Rapid. Salamander has the waist belt bags that are ready for action. Liquid logic came up with a bag that is priced to sell, light, small in size, throws well, and loads even better. Plus, if you're using it on a multi day trip, it'll cool your river sodas before you get to camp.