When you need the best equipment... Choose CKS.
What do Chattanooga and Salida kayakers have in common?Both cities with great whitewater kayaking reputations love Haley Mills as their ambassador.
“The whole US Team was at the same hotel compliments of Jackson Kayak. We were just dirtbag kayakers training, food was a challenge, and there was this huge buffet. So, I’d eat a dozen croissants. Then we’d go to 5:30 am paddle sesh and return for a second breakfast. There were all kinds of meats I didn’t know what they were, even a spreadable sausage. It was survival mode that evolved to a secret all you can eat and then some. Soon the hotel put up signs, "One sausage and juice each person."
But there it was. This unattended expresso machine, a full buffet, and us a bunch of (high metabolism) athletes with bodies starving for nutrients.”
“Sie kommen!. Die kajakfahrer kommen! Run! Run and hide den saft!”
“They’re coming! The kayakers are coming! Run and hide the juice!”Several international teams went to a traditional German beer garden where there were liters of beer and park rides, hmm great ideal. Stephen (Wright) and Haley rode the swings in circles. Stephen said, “I feel drunk and I don’t drink.” The Japanese team was pounding beers and Team USA athletes worried the doubly intoxicated rising sun athletes would projectile vomit from the seats immediately in front of them. Haley recalls struggling at a restaurant with Bryan (Kirk) and Clay (Wright), “You gotta eat this steak it’s just $7. Our translation was off and that steak turned out to be steak from the neck of pork… disgusting. Mostly we just pointed at pictures of what we wanted.”
A Brief Observation of an Athlete Still on FireHaley moved from Chattanooga to Salida four years ago and travels back east to the Gauley River and Chattanooga annually. She makes certain to give credit to boyfriend Mike Tabares who is now usually SUP surfing as she trains. It doesn’t take a world champion to see she’s got skills. I watched Haley surf the wave, huck her 6’ kayak over small frame, quick move stroke forward then backward to stick a helix. She next bounces backward creating a small window to throw her body upstream and hit backstabs and solid fundamental wave moves. She’s aggressive, just came off peak training and is still on fire.
Chattanooga + Salida = Great Freestyle Training
Products Haley Mills recommends:
- Wavesport Project X- Do you live near a great play hole or whitewater park? If so, then your going to love the highly anticipated Project X. Moves like learning to loop or cartwheel become easy. And advanced tricks like the McNasty and an Airscrew are now attainable.
- Sweet Protection Helmets- Sweet couldn't have picked a ahhmm "Sweet'r name." And with an emphasis on best quality and style the name is fitting. Sweet is the best of the best when it comes to gear and style.
- Adventure Technology Paddles- Have you ever held an AT Paddle? Ohhhh... feels so good with that carbon fiber glassed oval'd hand shape. That feel transfers to learning to feel the water and your paddle placements. Check out an AT.
- Immersion Research Drytops and Accessories- Ir has invested years of quality time in the water to build the most reliable whitewater gear in the industry. Whether you need underlayers, river shorts padded extra in those kayaker needy spots, or to stay dry and warm... check out Immersion Research's product line.
If you enjoyed this article you might also like reading:
- Female paddler Nicole Mansfield tours with uber-testosterone Demshitz.
- Teva Mountain Games- Freestyle controversy, Dane and EJ discuss rides.
- Teva Mountain Games- Adriene Levknecht dominates superbowl of kayaking.