The Commander, is Wilderness Systems answer to the Native Watercraft Ultimate Series. It's a canoe / kayak hybrid that offer plenty of versatility. Anyone ranging from the serious kayak angler, to a family looking for a do-it-all, "SUV" type boat to bring to the lake, will appreciate the features on the Commander 120. The part of the boat that stands out the most is the unique tunnel hull design. There is a keel that runs down the center line of the boat, which aids the Commander's tracking and rigidity. Beside the keel line, the hull becomes concave(tunnel hull) and then has additional volume on the sides. This is what provides the type stability that allows you to stand up in the boat. Overall, the Commander is a boat that suits all kinds of different needs.
Here is a very informative video on The Commander 120
- The canoe/kayak hybrid offers the best features from both worlds. There is no cockpit, which makes The Commander super easy to get in and out if.
- Copious amounts of storage, both fore and aft.
- Stable. You can stand in this boat.
- There are lots of aftermarket products available. Anglers take note, as there is also a fishing version available.
- The seating system is very innovative. It can slide forward and back. With the seat all of the way forward, it is possible to have 2 people in the Commander(great for kids). There is an integrated roto-molded seat (captains perch) that is right behind the drivers chair (Freedom Elite Seating System).
- There are no scupper holes to drain water. Get a bilge pump / squirt gun combo like the NRS Aqua Blaster and you will be golden.
- You sit a little bit higher in this boat(especially in the captains perch seat), just like in a canoe. This means that you are a little bit more vulnerable to wind sheer.
The Wilderness systems Commander fits the bill for a few different applications. Anglers will like the abundant fishing related accessories, and ability to stand up in, and actually fish from within the boat. There is plenty of storage space, which makes the Commander the perfect choice for day trips on the lake. Pack a lunch and some drinks, paddle out to an island, and enjoy the day. The other thing about the Commander that makes it appealing is that it ranks high in the "kids friendliness" category. With the "Captains Perch" roto-molded seat and the "Freedom Elite Seat system", it is possible to take young children out on safe flatwater adventures. Versatility and ease of use would be the 2 key words best associated with this boat.