Making your whitewater kayak fit perfectly to you isn't as daunting as it may seem. Our kayaking expert Jennings lists some quick tips to make any kayak you paddle comfortable.
Whitewater kayak manufacturers have been crafting boats that are loaded with features to improve comfort and performance, but we'll cover some basic outfitting that is fairly simple and cost effective, as well as get into some of the more die-hard ways to improve kayak comfort.
- The Reggie Backband by Immersion Research is super high quality, and one of my favorite outfitting additions. It's soft yet sturdy to give your back the support it needs without hitting any pressure points. A couple screws is all it takes to install this band, and almost all boats have the holes ready to go.
- The Jackson Sweet Cheeks offers a form fit for dat booty. What other seat can claim that? I have a pair of these in an old RPM kayak, and it is comfier than my modern creekboat!
- If you have an old boat or simply do not have comfy hip placement in your current boat, the Padz Hip Wedge is your solution. These offer customization for your body and ensures that you will have good blood flow to your legs so they don’t fall asleep while paddling longer runs.
- I have long legs, and that puts my knees touching plastic in most Pyranha, Dagger and Jackson kayaks. The 1/4 inch outfitting peel and stick foam is a MUST. I cover up those spots that my legs hit the plastic to prevent them from getting sore bumping into plastic repeatedly. I have made this addition on every boat I've ever paddled.
- The 3” foam gives you the option to fill in any spot you need. You can use this as a bulkhead, to adjust or extend knee blocks, extend thigh hooks or anything else you can think of that would give the boat that little bit extra oomf that makes a 8 hour day on the water bearable.
CKS Online offers a ton of outfitting options. If you need help finding the right piece of outfitting for you and your whitewater kayak, don't hesitate to reach out to our customer service department for help getting your comfort dialed in.