The Otter series from NRS represents some of the best versatility and quality available. The Otter series takes the Expedition (E-series) boats from NRS that have a time-tested reputation from outfitter use and dials back some of overbuilt features to make these boats more affordable to private boaters' needs. Otter rafts have three air chambers (rather than four) and smaller abrasion pads/chafers on the bottom of the boat than E-series boats do.
The NRS Otter 140 is the gold standard for an all-around performance & utility for a private boater raft. This boat works well for both paddle rafting and frame rowing, and is well-equipped for both scenarios. At only 126 pounds, this boat feels light and quick on its feet with a 4 or 6 person paddle crew. A high-rocker bow and stern make this boat feel extremely maneuverable for its size.
When running a frame, the Otter 140 sports many of the stability and capacity capabilities of larger 15 and 16 foot boats, while retaining small boat maneuverability advantages. Its significantly wider and has larger tubes than the Otter 130 and can fit more gear or passengers. The Otter 140 is appropriate to support a small family, or carry the kitchen for larger trips.
All Otter rafts come standard with a patch on the straight run of the tubes that helps keep stubbon wear marks from forming on your tubes from your frame, and reinforces your tubes against abrasion from the metal.
The Pennel-Orca material these boats are made out of is essentially the same thing as Hypalon, and it has superior abrasion and puncture resistance versus other materials. The stitching and manufacturing quality is outstanding. If this boat is well taken care of, it will easily last over 20 years.
NRS Otter Raft 140 Self Bailing Raft Features:
- NRS Otter Series Rafts provide outfitter-grade performance that the private boater can afford.
- 20" tubes and 7 width provide the stability, control and maneuverability difficult rivers demand.
- 82" maximum frame length will accommodate an NRS Bigorn II Raft Frame with room for a drybox, cooler and rowing seat.
- Will seat 8-9 paddlers with optional third thwart.
- Heavy-duty Pennel Orca material is super abrasion, chemical and UV-resistant for unmatched durability.
- HD40 floor armor on the bottoms of the tubes guards your boat from the wear and tear of boulders and beaches.
- 12 stainless steel 2" D-rings give plenty of tie down points for frame and gear.
- Series: Otter
- Length: 14
- Width: 7
- Weight: 126 lbs.
- Tube Diameter: 20"
- Number of Thwarts: 2
- Bow Kick: 29"
- Stern Kick: 29"
- Number of Air Chambers: 6
- Valve Type: Leafield - C7
- Self Bailing: Yes
- Type of Material: Pennel Orca
- Weight/Denier of Tube Material: 41/1100
- Weight/Denier of Floor Material: 41/1100
- Number of D-rings: 12
- Number of Handles: 4
- Center Compartment Width: 45"
- Suggested NRS Frame Width: 66"
- Maximum Frame Length: 82"
- Repair Kit: Yes
- Warranty: 5 Years Retail, 3 Years Commercial